Otterbein Senior Lifestyle ChoicesOhio
Overview of the Otterbein small house model
Otterbein is a faith-based not-for-profit health and human service organization that offers a wide variety of senior services. Otterbein’s small house model is to create neighborhood clusters of five 10 Elder houses which are embedded in the community.
The Otterbein organization operates the largest number of small houses in the nation with 26 completed homes, 10 homes under construction and 10 in planning stages. They began this journey in 2005. The progress to date:
- 2007 Dedicated the Jane Baker House, a skilled nursing and rehabilitation home at Otterbein North Shore in Lakeside- Marblehead, the first Otterbein small house and the first such home in the state of Ohio.
- Dedicated Skilled Nursing & Rehab Neighborhood at Perrysburg
- 2008 Dedicated Skilled Nursing & Rehab Neighborhoods at Monclova and Springboro
- 2009 Dedicated the Rehab Neighborhood at Middletown on the campus of the Atrium Medical Center.
- 2010 Dedicated Otterbein Skilled Nursing & Rehab Neighborhood at Maineville
- 2013 Otterbein Skilled Nursing & Rehab Neighborhoods begin construction in two locations New Albany and Gahanna, with plans for two other locations in Loveland and Batavia
Ohio Department of Aging survey results reveal that of the 957 nursing homes evaluated in 2011:
- Otterbein North Shore Senior Lifestyle Community is rated the No. 1 nursing home in the state of Ohio.
- Three Otterbein locations, Lifestyle Communities in North Shore and Portage Valley, and the Skilled Nursing and Rehab Neighborhood in Monclova are rated in the top 15 facilities throughout the state.
- The “average” satisfaction rating of all Otterbein locations exceeded 92 percent of all evaluated facilities.
- All Otterbein communities/neighborhoods were ranked in the top third of all homes in the state.
- All Otterbein location exceeded the quality incentive threshold, as defined by the state of Ohio.
- Otterbein ranked exceptionally high in quality points for choice personalization.